Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s):
Have questions about the Summer Camps? We have answers!
Click HERE for Medical/Release Form
WHAT IS DIFFERENT BETWEEN THE CAMPS THAT ARE OFFERED?
- Summer Arts Connection Also referred to as multi-arts, all students participate in theater, music, art & dance/ movement under weekly ½ day themes for ages 3-10. Full day incorporates both AM and PM camp for this age range.
- Theater Performance Camps are for children who wish to delve into acting and performance in a more focused way. They are for ages 8-15 and/or 10-15.
- Early Arts for 2-3 year olds focuses on themes from familiar children’s literature.
DOES “3-10 YEARS OLD” MEAN THAT MY 10 YEAR OLD WILL BE WITH 3 YEAR OLDS?
- In short: “no.” All campers are together during drop-off time and during lunch break for full-day campers. Groups are reassigned every week based on the upcoming week’s enrollment, our knowledge of the campers, etc. They are divided into developmentally age-appropriate groups and the teachers make adjustments to the project based upon that specific group’s interests and capabilities. We do our best to cap groups at 12 participants which allows for individualized attention. Groups travel with their aide to studio spaces to experience each art form.
WHAT ARE FULL DAY CAMPS?
- Multi-Arts, Drop off begins at 8:30AM have instruction from 9:00-4:30PM. They include morning camp, break and afternoon camp. Students in full day camp should bring a packed lunch that does not require heating or refrigeration. For ages 10-15, drop-off begins at 8:50AM
DOES CAMP START AT 8:30 or 9:00?
- Performance and 10-15 year old camps, Drop off begins at 8:50AM for 9:00 start time. If you need to drop-off prior to 8:50AM, you will need to register for before care. (see below) Should you feel your child is able to “wait unattended,” please communicate this, they may not enter the building until 8:50AM as we can not be responsible for them.
- Multi Arts 3-10 year old camps, drop off begins at 8:30AM (instruction begins at 9:00).
DO I NEED TO PAY IN FULL TO BE REGISTERED?
- A $50 non-refundable deposit is due per camp, per child in order to secure a space and be registered. 100% of the deposit is applied toward the cost of the camp.
- The balance is due at the beginning of the month that the camp takes within (i.e. if the camp begins June 16th, the balance is due June 1st, etc.). If you register during the month that the camp takes place, then the entire balance is due at time of registration. There is no registration fee for camp.
IS CARE AVAILABLE BEFORE and/ or AFTER CAMPS?
Yes, for ages 3 and up (must be potty trained) arrangements at 8:00AM and up until 5:30PM can be made. Additional care must be arranged prior to the start of camp. Care must be paid in full prior to date of use.
Please contact the Yocum Institute for current pricing and availability.
NOTE: As we hire based on enrollment, extended care is not refundable or transferable.
Click here for Extended Care Registration Form (available for Multi Arts & Theater Performance Camps only!
WHAT IS A “TEACHING ARTIST?”
The term “teaching artist,” can be a broad term. At the Yocum Institute for Arts Education, we use the definition that many states use in the context of Education “A teaching artist (artist–educator) is a practicing professional artist with the complementary skills and sensibilities of an educator, who engages people in learning experiences in, through, and about the arts.” We choose our teachers and aides carefully based not only on their resume, but their ability to work with children and classroom management skills. We also, typically have them lead a sample class prior to hiring.
WHAT IF MY PLANS CHANGE OR MY CHILD GETS SICK?
The $50 deposit for each camp is non-refundable. However, if we are able to accommodate – within reason (i.e. no more than 2 changes per child), students may transfer payments between camps. Amounts may not be transferred between Institute Department, classes or programs.
WHAT IF MY CHILD HAS SPECIAL FOOD OR BEHAVIORAL NEEDS?
We believe in creating a space that allows all children to succeed. Directors and staff will work with you to make sure all special needs of campers are met throughout the week, whether they be monitoring the snacks, or monitoring behavior.
Please keep in mind, that if a child’s behavior is disruptive to the detriment of a group’s positive experience, we will discuss with you what alternatives are available for your child. In the extreme event that a faculty, staff or camper is physically threatened by your child’s behavior, the camper will be asked to leave without refund.
DO YOU OFFER DISCOUNTS OR SCHOLARSHIPS?
- We offer a 5% discount for siblings enrolled in the same camp at the same time (some restrictions apply). This must be applied at time of registration and cannot be combined with any other discount, including “early bird.”
- Partial Scholarships are available to families in need. You must submit a scholarship application (available at the Institute or online) with your registration form noting which camps you are most interested in.
IS THERE A WAY I CAN I SEE WHAT MY CHILD HAS LEARNED IN CAMP?
- Our 3-10 year old camps offer an informal “share time” on Fridays, 30 minutes prior to pick up. The campers demonstrate the skills they have learned and share some of their favorite stories.
- Performance based camps will have structured “show’ times. If they are not noted in the camp brochure, they will be provided closer to the week the camp starts.
I HAVE A TWO YEAR OLD. ARE THEY REALLY READY FOR CAMP?
We believe that young children greatly benefit from our toddler camps and have positive learning experiences. However, we recognize that each child is different and are flexible and patient with our youngest campers. We demonstrate this by providing a structure specifically based on age-appropriate practices. The 3-10 Multi-Arts Campers travel throughout the building to different spaces and instructors, for the 2-3 year old campers instructors travel to them to provide comfort, safety and stability…. And no, they don’t have to be potty trained!
I STILL HAVE QUESTIONS!
Please call Beverly Houck at 610-376-1576 ext. 205 or email PrimaryStages@gmail.com